The government has just released a statement that police data shows that from 1 January to 31 July this year, there was a 22 percent reduction in serious assaults within the Auckland CBD compared with the same period last year, and an 18 percent reduction in serious assaults resulting in injury. [...]
Luxon partly credits the drop in crime to a new scheme where police work closer with stakeholders and services including the Ministry of Social Development, Kāinga Ora and Auckland Council. [...]
Luxon criticised the previous Labour government as "soft on crime" during his remarks. [...]
Heart of the City chief executive Viv Beck said in a statement that “There is a noticeable difference to how the city centre feels – the additional police and the significant local resources including our own safety team has made a positive impact. This is showing in crime trending down and the feedback that we get from local businesses. [...]
In response, Labour said police have been working hard to combat crime in Auckland CBD, but the government is just shifting the problem elsewhere.
Labour pointed to an increase in thefts, assaults and related offences, when looking nationwide over the first five months.
RNZ
Faces of the Day
PM Luxon and Police Minister Mark Mitchell say Auckland assaults are dropping.
Latest
This Is of Concern
The head of the Electoral Commission needs to explain what will be done to ensure the 28,000 New Zealanders applying to help run the 2026 election are not subjected to separatist indoctrination.
Now Apologising for Telling the Truth
Revolutionaries should be made of sterner stuff.
Media Love Snakes and Ladders
This is where we are, with a much greater reliance on ACT and NZ First to get National over the line on November 7. This should not be the case but these are the cards National has dealt the coalition.